Treatment of the drug addicts can be challenging as the extent of desire of taking drugs may lead to the failure of the treatments. Therefore, any kind of drug treatment center should not be sudden and should not impose any kind of pressure on the addicts to leave their habit. Moreover, the treatment should not only be intended to overcome the physical issue only. A good and complete treatment requires treatment of body, mind, and spirit as well. In addition to this, the treatment should be carried out in multiple steps and not at once.
There are 12 steps for determining and overcoming the addiction of drugs known as 12 step rehab. The steps are described from the start where the addict should admit that he or she is an addict of the drugs. After that follows how to overcome the addiction. Basically, the steps were described for alcoholics to overcome the addiction of alcohol but it has been effective for drug addicts as well. The first step makes sure that you don’t hide the fact of being an addict because after accepting that only you can work on the remedies.
The 12 steps rehab includes –
- Accepting the fact that the addict is really an addict and has the addiction of drugs and his or life has become unmanageable.
- The addicts need to believe that a power greater than them could restore them to sanity.
- The addicts should decide to live their lives under the care of god as they have a faith on him.
- The addicts then need to identify themselves through internal evaluations.
- The addicts should admit their exact nature of wrongs to god, to themselves, and to other human beings.
- The addicts should be ready for the extraction of the defects from their characters by god.
- The addicts should humbly as the god to remove all the negativity from them.
- The addicts should make a list of all those persons whom they have harmed and make amends to all of them.
The next four steps include meditation, personal inventory, and spiritual awakening. Along with the body, the treatment also should also focus on bringing out what is there inside the mind of the addict through personal counseling as well as the treatment of the spirit through prayers and meditation. As the body regains its strength, the mind also starts working in the right direction and the spirit starts guiding towards good decisions. An addict also knows that drugs are not good for health. But, the addict couldn’t control his mind and the desire for taking the drugs due to the imbalance working of the mind. And, that’s the reason for being trapped and gets addicted for drugs. Therefore, all that is required to overcome the addiction is the thorough treatment of the body, mind, and the spirit. If you are in California, then you can find a lot of California drug treatment center. You can opt for any California drug treatment program from the options that will be provided to you by the center of drug treatment California.